Ventless-Gas-Logs.com - Lisa's Blog
Hello, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Lisa and I have been an employee of Ventless-Gas-Logs.com, a Division of Recreational Warehouse for the past 16years. We are one of the largest dealers (We are now celebrating 41 years in business!) of gas logs and fireplace inserts in the country. We have significant experience in advising customers both online as well as in our retail store, choose the correct gas product for their homes. My desire to develop this blog was to offer a better understanding and answer your inquires about ventless gas logs and ventless inserts. Throughout the years, I have enjoyed helping customers and have been very eager to learn and would like to take this opportunity to share that knowledge with you. Any questions?
Choose a Category
2019/2020 Heating Season
What is new this year
Introducing Empire Comfort Systems
White Mountain Hearth Series by Empire Comfort Systems
Vented versus Ventless
There is a lot of information out there about vented and ventless products. Often times this can leave the consumer feeling some what helpless in their decision to choose. I am hoping to shed some light on the differences making it easier for you to choose.
What's "NEW" For 2016
This category will include some changes in codes for 2016 as well as some new product that I want to share with you.
Ventless Gas Logs And Fireplace Inserts
Ventless gas inserts and gas logs are available in natural gas or propane, and are intended to be used as supplemental heat for a home. Because there is no vent, flue or chimney required, all of the heat generated by the product is utilized as heat with 99.9% efficiency.
Many ventless gas logs and fireplace inserts are available with the option of a wall mounted thermostat, basic on/off hand held remote, or a hand held remote with a timer or thermostat.
Ventless gas inserts and log sets offer homeowners a safe and energy efficient way to add additional heat to their homes. Ventless gas burners are design certified by national testing laboratories to meet the latest national standards for health and safety guidelines.
Ventless products are fueled by natural gas or propane and their engineered burners provide efficient, environmentally clean burning heat. More than 17 million households use ventless gas supplemental heating appliances.
This category was designed to post helpful hints or state basic facts about vented and ventless products that we offer on our website. As always, I am happy to answer any questions you might have. Just send an email and I will respond within 24 hours.
Important Facts About Ventless Gas Logs
For New Ventless Gas Log Owners:
1. A cleaning of your ventless gas log set and burner should be done at least once a year. Before lighting the pilot for the season, please follow the cleaning instructions on our website below the Category list. A second cleaning may be necessary from heavy use or excessive dust in the middle of the season.
2. A ventless gas log set requires a 6 hour consecutive burn time to remove the oils that were used during the manufacturing process. It is recommended to keep the damper closed so the ventless gas logs can reach their hottest temperature during this time. You might notice some light smoke and a strong odor but this is normal and will slowly dissipate during the burn off. Your home smoke detector may be triggered during the first hour or two, allow for some ventilation by opening doors and windows to allow fresh air in.
3. Your Ventless gas log set is equipped with a safety pilot and oxygen depletion system. The safety pilot is designed to shut off the flow of gas if the pilot or flame extinguishes. There is a 45 second delay for the burner to reset before relighting the pilot. The Oxygen Depletion System is designed to shut the unit down if senses low oxygen.
4. Your ventless gas logs are not designed to be used as a primary heat source. Ventless gas logs are designed to be used as a supplemental heat source and about 4 to 5 hours per day. Use your ventless gas logs to warm the area where it is located. Most ventless gas logs can be used with the damper open, when you have a functional damper and working chimney flue.
5. Your ventless gas log set will raise the humidity level in your home. Humidity levels are lower in the winter, most often this added humidity is welcomed. Using a ventless gas log set as primary heat can cause excessive moisture and lead to unwanted mold and mildew.
6. If you smell an odor after the initial burn off period, that will gradually dissipate within 10 to 20 hours of use. If you continue to smell an odor keep in mind there are odors that can interact with your ventless gas logs.
• Frequently burning candles
• Painting or staining
• Hairspray, aerosols, and cleaning products
• Air fresheners and potpourri
• Fans that interrupt the normal flame pattern
• Objects placed in or near the flames
• Logs improperly placed on the burner assembly
Manual, Modulating And Millivolt Control Systems
Manual Control System:
With a manual valve you turn the burners on, and adjust the flame height by a control knob on the gas appliance. The ability to adjust the flame height with a ventless gas log set will allow a range of BTU's and heat. Manual control ventless gas log sets are not capable of using a remote control or wall thermostat.
Modulating Control System:
A modulating control offers a self-regulating temperature setting to manage the heat in the room. Operation is easy, light the pilot, turn the flame up to high until the room is comfortable, then turn slowly turn the knob towards low until the the flame shuts off. The thermostat is set and the valve will "modulate" the flame on and off to maintain the temperature you set. Easy to use but there is no flame height adjustment. To keep the unit on you would turn the control on high to override the thermostat feature. Thermostatic controlled heaters and fireplaces allow temperature setting on the unit, and the fireplace or heater will cycle on and offer to maintain temperature in a room. This can be also be achieved with a millivolt system and some type of thermostat remote.
Millivolt Control System:
A millivolt system has a valve that allows the use of a wall switch, wired or wireless wall thermostat or a remote control. A thermostat remote or wall mounted thermostat will regulate and maintain the temperature in the room.
Frequently asked questions
Modulating Control System
A modulating control offers automatic temperature control which automatically controls the heat in the room. Operation is easy, light the pilot, turn the flame up to high until the room is comfortable, then slowly turn the knob towards low until the flame shuts off. The thermostat is set and the valve will "modulate" the flame on and off to maintain the temperature you set. Easy to use but there is no flame height adjustment. To keep the unit on you would turn the control on high to override the thermostat feature. Thermostatic controlled heaters and fireplaces allow temperature setting on the unit, and the fireplace or heater will cycle on and offer to maintain temperature in a room. This can be also be achieved with a millivolt system with some type of thermostat remote.
Minimum Hearth Requirements
When purchasing a ventless gas log set whether it be Monessen or another brand, be sure to follow the minimum hearth requirements when choosing a size.
Questions Regarding Installation
This section is reserved for questions regarding the installation of ventless gas logs and inserts.
When To Check Building Codes
Whenever there is a question regarding design, construction or alteration, you should consult with the building codes in your area to see what the restrictions are. These codes standards were established for the purpose of safety, health, and quality of life. New York City's code is the oldest (1916) and, because of the city's population density and such concerns as fire prevention, adequate light, and ventilation, the most stringent.
THE BENEFITS OF CHOOSING MONESSEN
ALL OF THE MONESSEN VENTLESS GAS LOGS OFFER:
THE REAL DEAL
All of the ventless log sets are inspired by nature and are hand-painted for incredible realism and life-like detail. This offers a truly unique and authentic look to every log set.
INSTALL ALMOST ANYWHERE
The ventless gas log sets allow for installation in any existing firebox without the need for venting-making them a terrific choice for just about any room in your home. All gas log sets are available for natural gas or propane.
Monessen stands behind each and every gas log set that we sell and backs them with a lifetime warranty.
TWO STYLES-REFRACTORY CEMENT OR CERAMIC FIBER
The log sets are offered in one of these two materials. Refractory cement log sets allow for more fine detailing while ceramic fiber log sets reflect more heat.
With a remarkable 99% efficiency rating, Monessen ventless gas log sets maximize heating operation to provide optimum fuel savings.
THE BENEFITS OF CHOOSING PROCOM
ProCom's mission is to be your first choice when shopping for supplemental heating. They deliver unbeatable value, innovation, quality and outstanding service.
ProCom's Products and Services:
ProCom has manufactured quality heaters and hearth products now for over 15 years, and include a full line of space heaters, fireplaces and log sets. Their philosophy of vertical integration of parts and components has allowed them to engineer affordable high quality products and offer support in the aftermarket needs of customers.
ProCom promotes their products through three different brands; ProCom, ProCom Select and HearthSense.
ProCom is marketed through a wide range of reputable businesses and features a variety of products ranging from ventless gas wall heaters to an affordable selection of gas log sets and gas fireplaces.
The ProCom Select line showcases an upscale series of products ranging with an assortment of features and a selection of products which include remote controlled units. These products are sold through independent dealers who sell and service our complete line of heaters, logs and fireplaces.
This is discontinued product and is no longer available. Companies are always looking to update and change up the look or features of their product. Monessen specifically has done an amazing job redesigning their systems making them more realistic and attractive. Be sure to check out our new ventless gas log sets and fireplaces!!